Planning a picnic is a great way to kick off spring! On-the-go meals are super fun and easy to prepare, as long as you know what you’re doing. If you’re looking to plan the perfect picnic, follow these tips to help.
- Pack two containers. Have one basket for tableware, cups, and non-perishables, and a separate cooler for drinks and cold foods.
- Pack in reverse order. Place your non-perishables on the bottom, your tableware next, and your tablecloth on top, so you unpack in the order you need things.
- Estimate how much food your group will eat. If you don’t overpack, you will avoid having too many leftovers or wasting food.
- Bring plastic bags. Use these to collect garbage and carry dirty plates and silverware home.
- Pack enough ice. Coolers should be 25% ice and 75% food. Line the bottom and sides of the cooler with ice, and place the heaviest items in first and the lightest items in last.
- Keep your coolers cold. Once you arrive at your picnic spot, place your cooler in the shade, so it stays cold for longer.
- Serve chilled foods properly. When serving cold foods, place the dishes in large bowls or trays of ice to prevent them from warming.
- Freeze your meats before packing. If you have to travel far to your picnic destination or aren’t grilling as soon as you arrive, freezing your meats will keep them fresh longer.
- Don’t partially cook meats at home. This increases your chance of bacteria growing on your food. Just wait until you get to the picnic site.
- Wrap raw meat, fish, and poultry separately. Keep these items in their own plastic containers to avoid contaminating other foods.
Now that you have all the tips needed to plan your perfect picnic, you need to figure out where to have it. The picnic grounds at Italian Center Banquets offer sports fields, an in-ground pool, a large tent, and more. We can accommodate groups of 100 to 1,500 guests to make your outdoor event truly one-of-a-kind. For more information about our picnic grounds in Stamford, CT, call 203-322-6950.